Lahore University of Management Sciences (the “University”) provides www.sikhvirsa.org.pk and its subdomains (including website(s) accessed through mobile devices as well as downloadable mobile applications) and application program interfaces (“APIs”) (collectively, the “Website(s)”) in support of the University’s mission to collect, preserve, study, exhibit, and encourage appreciation for and advance knowledge of works of art. By accessing the Website(s), user(s) agree(s) to be bound by the following terms and conditions, which the University may revise at any time. Users are encouraged to visit this page from time to time to review current terms and conditions.
- Copyright and Proprietary Rights. The text, images, trademarks, data, audio files, video files and clips, software, documentation, or other information contained in these files, and other content on the Website(s) (collectively, the “Materials”) are proprietary to the University or its licensors. Copyright and other proprietary rights may be held by individuals or entities other than, or in addition to, the University.
- Many of the trademarks, service marks, and logos (collectively, the “Trademarks”) displayed on the Website(s), including SIKH VIRSA PAKISTAN, the SIKH VIRSA PAKISTAN (logo), LUMS and the LUMS logo are unregistered/registered marks of Lahore University of Management Sciences. The Trademarks of third parties may also be displayed on the Website(s). Nothing contained in the Website(s) should be construed as granting, by implication, estoppel, or otherwise, any license or right to use any Trademarks displayed on the Website(s) without the express written permission of the University or any third party that may own the Trademarks displayed on the Website(s). Without limiting the foregoing, the Trademarks may not be used in an URL. Any unauthorized use of the Trademarks or any other Materials, except as authorized in these Terms and Conditions, is strictly prohibited.
- Authorized Uses. Materials for authorized use fall under the category: Materials the University Believes to be Under Copyright or Other Restrictions. Materials the University believes to be under copyright or other restrictions are available for limited non-commercial, educational, and personal use only, or for fair use as defined in the copyright laws. Users may download these files for their own use, subject to any additional terms or restrictions which may be applicable to the individual file or program. Users must, however, cite the author and source of the Materials as they would material from any work, and the citations should include the URL “www.sikhvirsa.org.pk” but not in any way that implies endorsement of the user or the user’s use of the Materials. By downloading, printing, or otherwise using Materials, whether accessed directly from the Website(s) or via other sites or mechanisms, users agree that they will limit their use of such files to non-commercial, educational, personal or for fair use, and will not violate the University’s or any other party’s proprietary rights. Users may not remove any copyright, trademark, or other proprietary notices, including without limitation attribution information, credits, and copyright notices that have been placed on or near the Materials by the University. Downloading, printing, copying, distributing, or otherwise using Materials for commercial purposes, including commercial publication or personal gain, is expressly prohibited.
All rights not expressly granted herein by the University are specifically and completely reserved.
The University does not warrant that use of any Materials displayed on the Website(s) will not infringe the rights of third parties not owned by or affiliated with the University.
The Frequently Asked Questions answered below may assist you in interpreting permitted uses in these Terms and Conditions.
- User Responsibility. From time to time the University may invite users to share content. Please know that shared content will be reviewed by the University staff and may be reproduced by the University in all media now known or hereinafter devised.
Security. By creating accounts and passwords on the Website(s), users agree to maintain the confidentiality of their login credentials and are responsible for restricting access to their personal computer and mobile devices. User agrees to use the Website(s) for lawful purposes only and will not participate in any action that will compromise the security of the Website(s) or damage the Website(s) and their content.
User-Generated Content. By posting content, including but not limited to comments, photographs, product reviews, and links to external sites, on the Website(s), and by using our messaging services, users agree to comply with all requirements and procedures for posting and messaging, and to avoid abusive and offensive language and to refrain from posting any content that is commercial in nature, advocates for a political cause or legislation, or infringes upon any third party’s rights, including privacy, copyright, trademark, or patent. The University does not endorse any opinions or recommendations posted by users or third parties. The University requires users to obtain all necessary permissions, such as a copyrighted work by an artist or a copyrighted story or a news article written by another person, before posting or distributing any content on the Website(s).
It is strictly prohibited to post or transmit any unlawful, threatening, or infringing material that could constitute conduct that would be considered a criminal offense, give rise to civil liability, a violation of privacy or publicity, or otherwise violate law. The University shall have the right, but not the obligation, to inspect, monitor, review, edit, remove, refuse, or delete any content for any reason whatsoever. Access and accounts of repeat infringers will, in appropriate circumstances, be terminated. The University does not warrant that the use of the materials on the Website(s) will not infringe the rights of any third party and assumes no responsibility or liability arising from such content or materials or for any error, defamation, libel, slander, omission, falsehood, obscenity, pornography, danger, or inaccuracy contained in information within such locations of the Website(s).
Please note: the University may discontinue any portion of the Website(s) at any time. It will not remove comments upon a user’s request. By submitting comments, users acknowledge that they will be posted on the Internet. Users grant the University the right to quote from comments in all media now known and hereinafter devised. By posting or distributing information or material on the Website(s), users expressly abandon any proprietary rights in their comments, and such information or material may be freely copied and distributed by others without your permission.
- API. Use of the Sikh Virsa API is subject to the provisions of these Terms and Conditions, including without limitation the provisions on Trademarks, Authorized Uses, Security, Privacy, Links to Third Party Sites, Disclaimer of Warranties, Limitation of Liability, DMCA, Indemnity and Applicable Law and Jurisdiction.
- The University will not provide technical support in connection with the Sikh Virsa API and does not guarantee availability of the service or accuracy of the content. There may be times when the API is not available due to development, maintenance or otherwise.
- At its discretion the University may restrict access to or discontinue the Sikh Virsa API or any functionality associated with the API. The University may limit the number of transactions a user may send or receive through the API, which may, for example, ensure even performance for all users, or may in the future require access through assigned keys.
- Users are encouraged to refresh API data regularly for the most updated content available; information may change, and the Museum may add to, delete, or otherwise modify content.
- The University is committed to protecting the privacy of visitors to the Websites in accordance with applicable laws and regulations. Please note that the Websites are not specifically dedicated to children and the University does not actively solicit information from children.
- Links to Third-Party Sites. The University has not reviewed all of the sites linked to or from the Website(s) and is not responsible for the content or privacy policies of any off-site pages or other sites linked to or from the Website(s). The University provides these links as a convenience and linking to any off-site pages or other sites is at the user’s own risk. A link does not imply endorsement or affiliation with the linked site by the University.
- Integrated Third-Party Tools. The University offers integrated tools and other social sharing features on the Website(s). By accessing the integrated tools and features users agree to be bound by the third party’s terms of service.
- Disclaimer of Warranties. Without limiting the foregoing, all Materials on the Website(s) are provided “AS IS” WITHOUT A WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF COPYRIGHT OWNERSHIP AND/OR NON-INFRINGEMENT OR OTHER THIRD PARTY PROPRIETARY RIGHTS. The University may update, change, or delete content at any time. The University makes reasonable, ongoing efforts to revise and update the Website(s), but does not warrant that the Website(s) will provide continuous, prompt, secure, or error-free service, and assumes no responsibility for any errors or omissions, including the inaccuracy of content, or for any damages or losses that users or any third party may incur as a result of the unavailability of the Website(s). The University assumes no responsibility, and shall not be liable for, any damages to or viruses that may infect a user’s computer equipment or other property resulting from use of the Website(s) or downloading of any Materials from the Website(s). At its discretion the University may discontinue or take down the Website(s) or any section or Material within the Website(s) at any time.
- Limitation of Liability. NEITHER THE UNIVERSITY, ITS AFFILIATES, TRUSTEES, DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, OR AGENTS SHALL HAVE ANY LIABILITY FOR ANY DAMAGES, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, COMPENSATORY, PUNITIVE, SPECIAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (EVEN IF THE UNIVERSITY HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES) ARISING FROM OR RELATED TO USE OF THE WEBSITE(S), CONTENT, AND/OR COMPILATION.
- The user agrees to indemnify, defend, and hold the University and its respective supervisors, trustees, officers, agents, and employees harmless from all claims, causes, allegations, costs, expenses, fees (including reasonable attorneys’ fees), judgments, liabilities, losses, and damages arising from or relating to your use of or operation of the Website(s) or any of its Materials.
- Applicable Law and Jurisdiction. These Terms and Conditions and any amendments thereto shall be governed and construed in accordance with the laws and regulations of Islamic Republic of Pakistan, without regard to principles of conflicts of laws. Any dispute arising out of, in connection with, or related to this Agreement shall be brought in any court located in Islamic Republic of Pakistan, and the parties hereby waive any objection that they may have to personal jurisdiction in these courts.
Frequently Asked Questions
May I use selected images or text excerpts from www.sikhvirsa.org.pk?
Images of works of art or text excerpts may be used only if it is a non-commercial personal or academic work, and not for publication in any medium. All other forms of publication of copyrighted works are expressly prohibited. The copyrighted works must remain unaltered. All of the accompanying caption information must be included without alteration. You should cite the source as you would any work; the citation should include the URL “www.sikhvirsa.org.pk”
How do I obtain permission to reproduce images of works of art, images not available on the Websites, or any text displayed on the Websites?
Anyone wishing to use the Materials from the Website(s) for purposes other than as authorized herein must obtain prior written approval. Permission for such use is granted on a case-by-case basis at the sole discretion of the University. A usage fee may be charged depending on the nature of the proposed use.
For images of works of art from other museums or institutions reproduced on the Website(s), contact the institution credited in the work’s caption directly.
Last updated April 02, 2022